Confident Audition - But Be Careful

When it comes to an audition - confidence is important - but don’t be overconfident as WILLIAM WHITENER, Artistic Director Kansas City Ballet explained to me recently….

“Most important is that an auditionee must catch my eye right away–I want to be captivated.
Bruce Wells, a teacher at Pacific Northwest Ballet School described one young dancer by saying she carried her own spotlight, which I thought was a very savvy description. She was hired straight out of school.

I look at how individuals enter the room. I notice their interaction and regard for others. I ask: Is their manner forthright and confident? Are they well-groomed, attentive, physically fit? Are they positive, with a good sense of humor? Do they demonstrate an intelligent approach to technique? Are they able to interpret music in a sophisticated way? I look for grace, zest, and attention to detail. The energy a dancer brings can make or break their audition. Being late is a great disservice to the dancer.

Worst faux pas: I remember some one winked at me once–actually twice–during an audition. I felt it was somewhat inappropriate. And on the other hand, I think affability and friendliness are good qualities to have–with a certain degree of formality.”

More great advice from industry professionals that has all been incorporated into The Ultimate Audition Guide. Be one of the first to get it as soon as it is released here: http://www.mediatricks.com/Auditions/

No comments: